Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Temps & Expo Day

Expo day is this Friday! Expo day is where every student at IOS presents their projects for their independent study that they have been working on all semester. There's going to be a potluck and people are able to check out the school and the campus, pretty exciting I know. Plus it's the last day before break! I'm decided to have an exhibit, I'll have some remedies I've made out and some golden milk for people to try. I'm also making a book of how to make the remedies I've learned about. I should get working on that soon....  My friend Cesis independent study is punk fashion so I'm going to be dressing in steampunk stuff for her. My apothecary class has also made a bunch of things this semester that we will have for sale. Stuff like sugar scrubs, soaps, lip balms, salves, etc. Lots of people have been buying them to give as Christmas presents.  It's all going to be exciting :)




I thought today I'd talk about things to help with fevers since lots of people have been home sick with them. So a general thing you can drink when you're sick is peppermint tea. It's super medicinal and it has a cooling effect. With children it's best to have them drink spearmint tea instead because peppermint has menthol in it. I personally like Spearmint because it has that sweet taste but peppermint is more potent. You can also add a drop of basil oil to a spoon full of honey or 2 to 4 drops to a glass of water and take this about twice a day. For MILD FEVERS you can bake a large onion for 40 minutes at 400(F). When it's done you mix the juice with an equal amount of honey. You want to take 1 to 2 tsp an hour up to 8 times a day. For HIGH FEVERS you can drink yarrow and boneset tea with a pinch of cayenne and/or you can add some cinnamon or fresh grated ginger. Of course if your temperature is about 104(F) I suggest going to the hospital. Oh and another thing you can use for fevers and general sickness is this garlic, lemon and ginger mix. Crush a medium sized garlic clove, grate a similarly sized piece of ginger and squeeze the juice of one lemon into a small bowl. Mix in 1 tsp of honey. I like to add a little more honey than that. You could take this straight or add it to 1 cup of warm water. You should take this up to 3 times a day. My absolute favorite thing for fevers is dark chocolate. Yes, I said chocolate. You don't want to get milk chocolate or some with lots of sugar. Chocolate chocolate chocolate (:

1 comment:

  1. Great meeting you today at the Inside Outside School Expo Day and learning about all the great herbal remedies you've mastered, Emily. The golden milk was delicious!

    ReplyDelete